Welcome

Of all the funeral cards, that circulate out there, I wonder how many ever find their way back to the families of origin. A simple funeral card is the summation of a life lived.
Enjoy the discovery process.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Belgium Funeral Card



Incredible artistic detail is to be found on this funeral card. For a moment, consider the image and lettering.  The card inspires me to want to learn of the printing techniques of this era. Despite the age of the card, it is in remarkable condition.  I was drawn to the Dutch-English translation of the card's message: “Our Lord’s Cross.  I want to rest under your shade.” My research skills are sorely lacking when it comes to Belgium genealogy.  Nevertheless, this card represents the life of  Maria Theresia Josepha Dierckx (1784-1867). This would be a treasured find for a family historian.
Photographs are by colantiques on eBay.

No comments: